Essential oilsShow Filters
Showing all 8 results
Showing all 8 results
Introduction and Getting Started with Essential Oils
Essential oils are derived from nuts or seeds by mechanical cold pressing or extracted from plants by distillation, using steam or water, thus producing a natural and healthy product.
The first recorded usage of oils is said to be by the ancient Egyptians, although the discovery of cave paintings from approximately 18,000 years ago shows that the overall history goes back as far as pre-historic times.
Essential oils are very versatile, with great benefits for the health and wellbeing of the skin, body and hair. You can use them by direct application to the skin, as a carrier oil for the application of aroma oils, and massage. Blending different oils together or even with your favourite skin product can intensify their potential. Some essential oils are suitable for ingesting, using in cooking or even as a dressing for salads! It’s easy to find the best essential oils for you with their multiple uses.
Applying and Using Essential Oils
Essential oils can be applied directly to the skin and hair to promote good health and care. Their luxurious rich consistency means that they absorb deeply and can be used to add moisture and help take care of the skin, hair and scalp. Many have anti-inflammatory, antioxidative, antifungal, and wound healing promoting benefits, and are packed with nutrients. Care is recommended for acne-prone skin if applying to the face.
Many types of essential oils can be used as part of a healthy diet to help support a healthy immune system, digestive system, important bodily functions and metabolism. Add these oils to your smoothies, as a salad dressing, use as a cooking oil or incorporate into recipes.
Essential oils for general skin use can be used as a massage oil and may also be included in homemade cosmetics such as deodorants and lip balms.
Favourite Essential Oils for Hair and Skin
Essential oils can be used for many different purposes, whether it’s for skin healing, anti-ageing of the face, a boost of immunity or for hair repair.
Listed below are some of the most popular oils for general usage:
- Jojoba Oil
- Almond Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Argan Oil
- Rose hip Seed Oil
- Carrot Seed Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Frankincense Oil
Using Essential Oils Safely and Effectively
When choosing your essential oil, always ensure that it is suitable for the intended purpose, to be certain that you get the best results from your oil.
- Take care when applying some essential oils to the face and body, especially on oily or acne prone skin. Some oils have the potential to cause an allergic reaction, so specifically take care if you have an allergy to nuts or seeds, although usually these oils are safe to use.
- Check the label of your essential oil for any warnings and precautions with that particular oil, especially for first time usage.
- Some essential oils can be used on your pets, but others can be harmful to them. Always check with your veterinary surgeon which ones are suitable and keep them stored safely away as a curious pet may accidentally find and ingest them.
- Essential oils can be useful for children, particularly for nourishing their young skin, but always use caution and provide supervision.
- If using medication or having particular health issues, it is important to check which essential oil is more suitable for you.
Essential oils can be an amazing and positive addition to help support your health and wellbeing, a gift passed on to us by our ancestors for a more natural way of living.